Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Dreaded Call From School.....

The phone rings around 9am and a peak at the Caller I.D. tells me it's the Middle School my son attends. My heart sinks as I quickly race through my mind about the morning's events before he went to school. Was he not feeling well? Did he forget something important? Did he leave the house angry and I didn't notice and got on the bus and decked the first kid he seen at school? Ok, ok, I know, I over-think things. I picked up the phone and it was Jayson on the other end. "Mom", he said, in a very quiet voice. Still wondering why he was calling I replied, "What happened? (in my defeated, fed up mom voice)". He went on to tell me that in his first period class they were going over grades and he now has a 3.8 GPA. He went on to point out that he was in reach of HIGH HONOR ROLL. OK maybe you didn't hear me...I SAID High. Honor. Roll. My response to Jayson was this..."Keep working hard, push yourself, you can do it, and I am so proud of you!"

Now, let me explain. There was a time when "school" did not come easy for Jayson. As a matter of fact it has been a frustrating, uphill challenge in years past. There were many meetings, labels and even tears. Honestly, I'd have to add, a lot of guilt to that list. Although, we knew that Jayson has always been a kid that worked hard at what he wanted, being on the Honor Roll, much less the High Honor Roll was never on the short list!

This morning after getting his call, a flood of memories came to me. One of those memories was a time that I had talked with God about Jayson and his learning "abilities", and I remember God telling me "Jayson will have his own testimony". Another memory was that all of our praying and confessing God's Word over our kids really does work. I'm not sure how long I've had this little book called "Confessions for Raising Winning Kids", but I carry it everywhere I go. I pull it out waiting in the car, in the mornings, at lunchtime, at bedtime, seriously...everywhere. The poor little book doesn't even have a cover anymore. It's tattered, highlighted, scribble filled pages have spaghetti sauce and other unidentified objects on them. Yep, gross!


Am I saying that this little book is why Jayson is where he is today? NO, absolutely not, but I am saying that God is in control and if you do what He tells you to do, eventually you will get where you want to be. I thank God for that little book and the big books that have helped our family along the way.


**I take no credit and I boast not. I just wanted to share that my heart is glad today.**
Plus, one last thing...maybe those calls from school are not so dreaded after all. :)

No comments:

 

Blogger Templates | Blogover by Lolatini