Saturday, January 29, 2011

Do I Have A Booger In My Nose??

Many of you may know what an animated parent I am.  I don't try to be, but it just comes out...random songs, raps, dances, etc.  Well a few weeks ago I got a call from my daughter that included the dredded statement..."MY MOM SAYS...".  My heart skipped a beat as I listened and thought "oh lord, what did I say now?".  She continued telling the story of how she tells her roomates different examples, lessons and words of wisdom that her mother has shared with her and her brother over the years.  Yep, I'm still panicking.  One particular story she told them sounded like this...

"My mom says, if you're walking around and you have a BOOGER in your nose and nobody tells you that you have a BOOGER in your nose, they are not your friend.  But I am going to tell you that you have a BOOGER in your nose, so don't get offended when I tell you that you have a BOOGER in your nose, because I love you!"

That was the best laugh of the day!  No one can tell a story quite like my kids (animated like their mom)!  Now let me translate in case you missed it.  I have always tried to encourage my kids to do what the bible says by speaking the truth in love.  Sometimes, you have to do what is hard and uncomfortable in order to help a friend or point them towards what is right.  When you love someone, you don't let them walk around in denial, ignorance or foolishness.  You would want someone to tell you when they see you on a destructive path, right?  Using the "booger" illustration was a way for me to teach them that even though I was correcting them or disciplining them, it was because I loved them.

I am thrilled to know that my kids have heard the message that I was so desperately trying to get across to them.  I will admitt, it is still a little scary being quoted, but I now know my kids are well equipped to let me know if I have a booger in my nose.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Such a great lesson here. Isn't it priceless when your kids actually listen, learn and use the lessons learned to help others!? Pat yourself on the back Mama....you're doin a GREAT job!

Cheers!

Shannon said...

Celeste, what a great friend you are! I apprecitae your comments and your support! SMOOCHES!! :)

 

Blogger Templates | Blogover by Lolatini